Re: manager classes

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:22:16 +0100, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:20:49PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

Anders Logg wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:12:48PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
>>
>> Anders Logg wrote:

>>> ok, but shouldn't we be able to initialize one but not the other (of MPI
>>> and PETSc)?
>>>
>> Yes. We have compiler flags that tell what is needed.
>>
>> Garth
>
> I mean even if one has both MPI and PETSc installed, then one might
> want to use MPI (for the mesh) without initializing PETSc, and one
> might want to use PETSc without initializing MPI (if possible).

Yes, it is desirable to be able to do this. In practice at the moment
this is pretty much determined by the compiler flags. Once we have a
class SubSystemManager, we will be pretty flexible in what we can do.

Garth

ok.

What about designing the classes that use PETSc, MPI or some other library, needing initialization call the corresponding initialization function of the SubSystemManager. For instance:

class PETScObject {
	public:
	PETScObject()
	{
		SubSystemManager.initPETSc();
	}

	~PETScObject()
	{
		SubSystemManager.finalizePETSc();
	}
};

class PETScMat : public PETScObject
{
};

So that once I construct any PETSc object, and not before that, PETSc gets initialized.

--
Mads Hoel