Re: Petsc version

On Jan 15, 2008 7:05 AM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:01:17PM +0100, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
> > For DOLFIN usage, is it important to get petsc 2.3.3 or is 2.3.2
> > (which is in Ubuntu Gutsy) good enough?
>
> It's important that you download and build PETSc yourself. The
> Ubuntu/Debian packages have been broken for a long time (at least
> every time I've tried). If you build PETSc yourself, you can also ask
> PETSc to build Hypre (which gives you AMG).

They play by the Debian "rules" which in my view makes things very
hard and too restrictive.

> Here's a simple howto:
>
> 1. Build and install OpenMPI from www.open-mpi.org

Is there a reason you prefer this iver --download-mpich? Feedback
about this would be great since I am seeing Mac users migrate
over and wonder why. Currently, we do not have an automatic
install for this, but maybe we need one.

  Thanks,

    Matt