Re: Petsc version

Matthew Knepley wrote:
On Jan 15, 2008 7:05 AM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:01:17PM +0100, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
For DOLFIN usage, is it important to get petsc 2.3.3 or is 2.3.2
(which is in Ubuntu Gutsy) good enough?
It's important that you download and build PETSc yourself. The
Ubuntu/Debian packages have been broken for a long time (at least
every time I've tried). If you build PETSc yourself, you can also ask
PETSc to build Hypre (which gives you AMG).

They play by the Debian "rules" which in my view makes things very
hard and too restrictive.

Here's a simple howto:

1. Build and install OpenMPI from www.open-mpi.org

Is there a reason you prefer this iver --download-mpich? Feedback
about this would be great since I am seeing Mac users migrate
over and wonder why. Currently, we do not have an automatic
install for this, but maybe we need one.

One reason is that the DOLFIN build system is simpler. MPI is either installed or not installed, and we don't consider the possibility that the MPI library is inside the PETSc directory.

Garth

  Thanks,

    Matt

2. Unpack PETSc in /usr/local/lib and rename to petsc (or make
symbolic link)

3. cd petsc; export PETSC_DIR=`pwd`

3.

./config/configure.py --with-clanguage=C++ --with-shared=1 --download-hypre=yes --download-umfpack=yes --with-mpi-dir=/usr/local

make all