Re: Abstraction idea

Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
2008/6/7 Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx>:

Anders Logg wrote:
On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 01:06:53PM +0200, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
It's a bit cumbersome to pass around mesh, dofmap, and form to be able
to create functions in finite element spaces. Maybe a FunctionSpace
class could collect the necessary info?

# Instead of:
uvec = Vector()
u = cpp_Function(mesh, uvec, dofmap, form, 0)
vvec = Vector()
v = cpp_Function(mesh, vvec, dofmap, form, 0)

# It would be nice to write:
U = FunctionSpace(mesh, dofmapset, form, 0) # or something similar
u = Function(U)
v = Function(U)
I think it sounds really good, but shouldn't it really be

  V = FunctionSpace(mesh, finite_element, dof_map)

So

  dofmapset --> dof_map
  form --> finite_element

This concept is probably usable in C++ as well.
Yes, it should be implemented there.

(Note that I'm not volunteering to implement this myself now, don't
have the time).
ok. Could you put it on the todo list? Either we can keep editing the
TODO file in DOLFIN, or we can have a TODO list on the wiki. I think
Garth suggested this yesterday.

The present TODO list is a combination of road map and minor details. I
would suggest putting items in the road map category on the web page for
visibility. It would show where we're going and indicate to potential
new developers where they might start.

Garth

Good idea.

I've added a DOLFIN road map page

  http://www.fenics.org/wiki/DOLFIN_road_map

It's empty at the moment.

Garth

But maybe the bugtrackers should be used for the minor details instead of TODO?
It requires that everybody actually use them, but then I think they
can be very useful.

--
Martin