Re: Saving data in time dependent simulations

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 07:44:22PM +0200, Kent-Andre Mardal wrote:

> man, 16.06.2008 kl. 15.26 +0100, skrev Nuno David Lopes:
> > What post-processor do you want to use?
> > For Xd3d i have the solution.
> > I don't know if there are other Post-processor that reads the files like xd3d.
> >
> > I've simplified/modified the vtk format and made a raw format that i'm
> > testing.
> > It's possible to save only the solutions.(much smaller files)
> > The idea is exactly what you are thinking, time-dependent problems with the
> > same mesh.
> >
> > Example of usage:
> > File g_file("g.raw");
> > g_file<<g;
> >
> > I've made some tests and it seems to work fine.
> >

> I'm using vtk and I'd very much like to see your code :)
>
> Kent

I think we need to implement a special purpose format for fast access
to solutions, in particular time series. For ODE solutions, Benjamin
Kehlet is working on a binary format with two levels of cache (memory
and disk) which makes it possible to save a time series of ODE
solutions to file and quickly access the solution at any given time t,
including interpolation.

If the time series fits in memory, it will already be in
memory. Otherwise it will be fetched from disk.

This is currently being implemented in the class ODESolution, but
maybe we can reuse the code for PDE solutions as well. If we limit
ourselves to solutions on a fixed constant mesh, then we just need to
store a time series of vectors.

How about a class TimeSeries that does this? It can then be reused
by two classes ODESolution and PDESolution which take care of the
rest (for example the mesh which can stay in memory).

If this sounds good, I can ask Benjamin to move the relevant code from
ODESolution to TimeSeries.