Re: Wiki

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:52:12AM +0200, Ilmar Wilbers wrote:
> I noticed the link to 'A detailed guide to installing dolfin'
> (http://www.fenics.org/wiki/A_detailed_guide_to_installing_DOLFIN) is
> removed from http://fenics.org/wiki/DOLFIN#Installation

Yes, I removed it since it was no longer current.

> However, it still shows up when googling for dolfin installation. So
> maybe it should be linked against something else?

The best thing would be to update it and then add back the link.

> Alternatively, it needs to be revised:
> -new version of all packages
> -no need to run bjam for boost (we only use header files)
> -use openmpi instead of mpich
> -add enable-shared=1 to petsc

> -add externalpackages from petsc to LD_LIBRARY_PATH (as we make it

Is this really needed if PETSc is compiled with --enable-shared=1?

> download and install hypre and umfpack)
> -use scons
>
> Should we install umfpack ourselves instead of making petsc do it?

I always let PETSc download umfpack, but I'm not sure why.

> Do we really need hypre?

It provides (algebraic) multigrid which is really useful.

> If you provide me with some feedback I could go through this on a clean
> machine, update this, and add the link back to the dolfin page on the wiki.

Would be very nice!

I guess it would be good if the installation guide was very similar to
the way Johannes builds the Ubuntu package (and kept in sync if
something in the build changes in the future).