Re: Plot and MPI

Ola Skavhaug wrote:
Garth N. Wells skrev den 11/07-2008 følgende:

Ola Skavhaug wrote:
Garth N. Wells skrev den 10/07-2008 følgende:
When I have MPI installed and configure DOLFIN with either PETSc or Trilinos, I get a bunch of errors when plot() is called (see below). A plot appears as expected, followed by the error messages. Looks like a Viper issue (?).
As far as I know, there shouldn't be any MPI calls in viper/VTK. I have
absolutely no idea what causes this error.

Did you compile VTK with MPI? Could you report the output of this commando on
the shared vtk-libraries:
objdump -R /usr/lib/libvtk*.so  | grep MPI

I didn't build VTK. I'm using the package. From objdump I get

objdump -R /usr/lib/libvtk*.so  | grep MPI
000fc960 R_386_JUMP_SLOT _ZN24vtkDistributedDataFilter15MPIRedistributeEP10vtkDataSetS1_

Garth

OK, then we have the vtk. As you can see, no MPI stuff is going on in viper,
and the MPI_Attr_get does not live in vtk. I have a similar problem now when I
try to combine dolfin with petsc bindings and the PyCC bindings to a serial
build of HYPRE. The problems are likely to be caused by some dummy MPI calls
in HYPRE that are mixed with the non-dummy versions of MPI in dolfin/PETSc.
I don't know what causes the problem you describe.

Can you give a more elaborate description of your system build + which
problems that fail?

Fresh clone of dolfin-dev

  ./scons.local enablePetsc=yes enableTrilinos=no enableMpi=yes

Running the Poisson demo in demo/pde/poisson/cpp/ and I get the MPI-related error messages. I get the same messages running demo/pde/poisson/python/demo.py.

I'm using OpenMPI 1.2.6 which I built and installed, and the Ubuntu 8.04 VTK packages.

Garth

Ola

Ola

Garth

Plotting Function, press q to continue...
*** An error occurred in MPI_Attr_get
*** after MPI was finalized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
[gnw20pc:3330] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!
*** An error occurred in MPI_Comm_rank
*** after MPI was finalized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
*** An error occurred in MPI_Type_free
*** after MPI was finalized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
Segmentation fault
Unable to plot (PyDOLFIN or Viper plotter not available).
Saved function u (discrete function) to file poisson.pvd in VTK format.