Re: Projection onto finer meshes

Harish Narayanan wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
No, it has not been implemented yet but it's something we desperately
need. If we define the L2 projection Pu of u onto V by

  (Pu, v) = (u, v) for all v in V

then the problem is in evaluating the integral on the right-hand side:

  (u, v)

where now u and v are defined on different meshes.

My suggestion would be to evaluate this by quadrature at run-time,
using the generated UFC function

  evaluate_basis

and IntersectionDetector/GTS which is very fast at finding the overlap
between cells.

Hmm, ok. I will try to compute the integral on the right-hands at runtime using quadrature and use it to determine Pu.

It might be useful to look at

  DiscreteFunction::eval(real* values, const real* x) const

It uses some of what you'll need.