Re: DofMapSet design

Garth N. Wells wrote:

Johan Hoffman wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 02:45:41PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
It would be useful to lay out a plan for tackling DofMaps. Getting this
right is the key to parallel assembly, assembly optimisations and
applying Dirichlet boundary conditions by eliminating Dirichlet dofs
from the global system.

I'm happy to take a look, but I'll need some time because I've lost my
overview of DofMaps. If someone else is already on top of it, I'd be
happy to provide feedback.

Garth
I won't have time to look at it until after the summer and I haven't
started.

Anyway, I think we should wait until after the next release until we
start messing with the dof maps.

Are there any issues we need to sort out before releasing 0.8? I'm
thinking about a new release some time this or next week.

One is to fix the bug in DirichletBC, but other than that?

Now would be a good time for a release so I can start messing with
DofMaps.

Garth
Has anything more been done about the DofMap design? During the summer
Niclas has extended to general elements his adaptive algorithm for
distributed parallel computing, so we are now ready to start messing with
the DofMaps in order to implement his algorithm in DOLFIN.

It has been given some thought, but no changes have been made in the code yet.

I take that back - Anders has started on the code within the past day.

Garth

If you have something already, I would suggest making it
publicly available somewhere for feedback before starting work on DOLFIN.

Garth

I see Anders report referenced in the code, where the mapping scheme
described is fairly close to what Niclas has implemented, although there
are some differences. We will sit down today to sum up what we think needs
to be done, and then we can discuss this on the mailing list.

/Johan