pyDOLFIN and MPI

I'm experiencing a puzzling problem wth pyDOLFIN and MPI again.

When I do

    python file.py

where file.py is just

    from dolfin import *

    object = Function("/tmp/fileKFnQpl.xml")
    plot(object)
    interactive()

I see a plot as expected, and get

    Plot active, press 'q' to continue.

After pressing 'q', I get

    *** An error occurred in MPI_Attr_get
    *** after MPI was finalized
    *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
[gnw20pc:2277] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!
    *** An error occurred in MPI_Comm_rank
    *** after MPI was finalized
    *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
    *** An error occurred in MPI_Type_free
    *** after MPI was finalized
    *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
    Segmentation fault

Somehow, Python appears to be calling MPI_Finalize before DOLFIN gets a chance to finalise things correctly. Any ideas/experience on how Python interacts with MPI? I've commented out MPI_Finalize() in DOLFIN to be sure that DOLFIN is not calling it.