Re: XML format for Higher Order meshes

Shawn Walker wrote:
I understand what you are saying, but the ordering of the vertices is such that the first three vertices (0,1,2) are exactly the same as they were before. This would be done no matter what order polynomial map you used. So, it seems to me it should be fine.

This is the usual FEM approach, but the point as I see it is that a vertex should really be a vertex. If it's not, it becomes a slippery slope with ad-hoc extensions. It would be nice to come up with a solution which is more elegant and extensible than the usual approach.

Garth

However, to be sure, I can modify the ufc stuff such that the coordinates variable only reads in the first three vertices. So this would be EXACTLY as it was before. I would then create a new ufc::cell variable called `map_coordinates' (if you have a better name, please suggest) and this would read in the 6 vertices. And in Tabulate_Tensor, if higher order is desired, then the `map_coordinates' will be used to compute the FEM matrix.

This seems safe, though a little redundant. Of course, one must be careful when creating the higher order mesh .xml file and ensure that the first three vertices correspond to the usual triangle vertices.

I also want to make sure that the extra `map_coordinates' is available to be modified with a loop in dolfin. This would be necessary for an ALE method when the mesh is deforming.

- Shawn