Re: XML format for Higher Order meshes

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Jed Brown wrote:

For what it's worth, mesh formats like exodusII and VTK accept quadratic
elements.  They view a quadratic element as a different topology, for
instance there is VTK_HEXAHEDRON=12 and VTK_QUADRATIC_HEXAHEDRON=25.  Of
course each of these has a canonical numbering for the nodes.  All
vertices are kept in one array, then connectivity for each topology
(either a separate array for each topology or interlaced with a topology
ID for every element).

Yeah, the quadratic mesh is stored in the standard P2 format, i.e. each triangle has 6 nodes associated with it, and they are ordered (locally) in the `standard' way.

I'm not aware of any standard for cubic and higher order meshes (or any
visualization software that could use it).  In that case, I think the
most reasonable thing is to store full element connectivity without
reference to vertices, that is (Region->Face), (Face->Edge),
(Edge->Vertex) and then store coordinates as a function over this space
(however you store such things, such as by indexing interior degrees of
freedom for every element/facet).  Note that there are many more
coordinates than vertices.

I agree that for visualization, you probably don't need 3rd order or higher. But I can definitely envision PDE problems (discretized) that may require it for other reasons. I am a little confused by what you said for storing the coordinates. So the full element connectivity would still require changing MeshTopology?

Providing a canonical numbering for nodes on say, a cubic hex, requires
98 vertices.  Also, the mesh function approach plays nicely with mixed
order discretization, modal bases, and nonconforming meshes.

how exactly would the mesh function approach work? Do you mean use MeshFunction?

So it might be reasonable to just implement the quadratic topologies now
and wait for cubic and higher order since it is a major undertaking to
do in a flexible manner.

I agree that this should all be tested with quadratic elements first.

- Shawn