Re: [HG DOLFIN] Use symmetric gradient in variational form in elasticity demo

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 02:45:58PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:

> >> In particular reason for this? It is simpler (and still correct) to use
> >> the gradient.
> >>
> >> Garth
> >
> > To make the form and the matrix symmetric. I showed the demo to a
> > friend (in computational mechanics) and he insisted that we replace
> > grad(v) by epsilon(v).
> >

> He's wrong :). When you take the inner product A : B, where B is
> symmetric, the inner product only 'sees' the symmetric part of A. It's a
> classic exercise and you can prove it by writing out the indices.
>
> Garth

I don't understand how that makes it wrong. My point (and maybe his)
is that since B is symmetric, we may replace A by its symmetric part
(as you say easy to see by writing out the indices). So, both
epsilon(v) and grad(v) are correct.