Re: Strange error from function.py

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 10:33:23AM +0100, Johan Hake wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 December 2008 10:19:26 Anders Logg wrote:

> > > W.r.t. solving the isinstance(f,Function) problem, I think no. As the
> > > Function class then always have to be a discrete function. If we let a
> > > compiled function inherit Function to facilitate isinstance, we also
> > > force it to be a discrete function, which probably would make the
> > > compiled function abit schizofreniac.
> >
> > The way the Function class is implemented in C++, its nature may
> > change dynamically. For example, it may start out as a user-defined
> > function and then become a discrete function. This happens at the
> > first call to Function::vector().
> >
> > The reason for this is to allow defining an initial condition for a
> > function by overloading eval() with say sin(x) and then use that same
> > function in a time-stepping algorithm:
> >
> > class InitialCondition
> > {
> >   void eval(...)  { values[0] = sin(x[0]); }
> > };
> >
> > InitialCondition u0(V);
> >
> > while (t < T)
> > {
> >    // Solve for u1
> >
> >    // Assign u0 to u1
> >    u0.vector() = u1.vector();
> > }
> >
> > This is very convenient to have in C++ but is not necessary to have in
> > Python, since one may dynamically project things to discrete
> > functions:
> >
> > u0 = project(InitialCondition(), V)
> >
> > I imagine it will work the same way for compiled functions. Anything
> > that inherits from dolfin::Function may potentially initialize a
> > vector of degrees of freedom.
>
> I think so. You should be able to check it with the current implementation.
> Just call vector() after you have instantiated a user defined function.
>
> > > This goes to the core of the isinstance problem. Now Function is a
> > > versatile class that can do many things but we cannot use it to check
> > > isinstance. If we desides that this is important, we need to split out
> > > the instantiation of the compiled _and_ discrete functions, if not we're
> > > fine.
> >
> > What is the big issue with checking
> >
> >   isinstance(v, FunctionBase)
> >
> > ?
>
> Well, I have no objection, more than it is not optimal. But then we are
> catched in a situation where we probably cannot get everything we want. So if
> everyone is fine with this I can implement it.
>
> Then I won't add any CompileFunction class/function but keep it the way it is,
> with soon-to-come clearer internal logic?

Sounds good, unless Martin has any better ideas? I don't.

Another thing I've been wondering about is the renaming of
dolfin::Function to dolfin.cpp_Function. Is this really necessary?

If we just removed the renaming, I guess it would still work out. So
we would create classes in function.py that inherit from ffc.Function
and dolfin.Function (instead of dolfin.cpp_Function).