Re: [Viper-dev] plot.py

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 11:45:46AM -0300, Ola Skavhaug wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 09:27:04PM -0300, Ola Skavhaug wrote:
> >> What's the purpose of dolfin_plot? It just calls viper_plot for all
> >> types, except when the object is unknown, in which case it tries
> >>  to project something, without knowing what it is. This should be put
> >> into viper instead of in this almost empty wrapper. What is the type
> >> of object if project can handle it?
> >
> > The type of object is any expression like grad(u), u + u, div(u) etc.
> > but it can also be anything else (like an int or float) that FFC can
> > interpret as a Form. The easiest test is probably the one that's there
> > now in plot.py (try: project).
>
> I don't understand. I don't see any tests where project is used. Can
> you point me to the appropriate test?
>
> Ola

I mean the following tests:

    # Plot mesh
    if isinstance(object, cpp.Mesh):
        return viper_plot(object, *args, **kwargs)

    # Plot mesh function
    if isinstance(object, cpp.MeshFunctionUInt) or \
       isinstance(object, cpp.MeshFunctionInt)  or \
       isinstance(object, cpp.MeshFunctionReal):
        return viper_plot(object, *args, **kwargs)

    # Plot function
    if isinstance(object, cpp.Function):
        return viper_plot(object, *args, **kwargs)

    # Try projecting function
    from project import project
    try:
        print "Object cannot be plotted directly, projecting to
        piecewise linears."
        u = project(object)
        return plot(u, *args, **kwargs)
    except:
        raise RuntimeError, ("Don't know how to plot given object and
        projection failed: " + str(object))

This tests for any object that DOLFIN knows that Viper can handle and
otherwise tries to project the object to a Function and then calls
Viper with the Function.

So: first check for everything that Viper knows how to plot and
otherwise try to project it.