Python interface for matrices

We have a high-level interface which provides operations like

  A += B

for matrices. This causes some problems as it hides the complexity which is inherent in sparse matrices, in particularly with respect to whether or not the two matrices have the same non-zero pattern. Unless someone has a good idea as to get around this robustly, I suggest that we remove these functions for matrices. A user can still do

    A.axpy(1.0, B)

or

    A.axpy(1.0, B, True)

where the last argument indicates whether or not the sparsity patterns of A and B are the same (default is False).