Re: New xml io

Anders Logg wrote:
On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:36:06AM +0200, Ola Skavhaug wrote:
On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ola Skavhaug wrote:
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been looking at the new XML io with the intention of getting the
plotting of MeshFunctions working again, but it's not clear to me what
the intention is with the input of MeshFunctions. If 'intersection' is a
MeshFunction<unsigned int>, if I do

   File file("mesh_function.xml", true);
   file << intersection;

the file "mesh_function.xml" contains the XML output for a Mesh and a
MeshFuncion (the latter being just a list of numbers). When I then try
to read the MeshFunction,

   MeshFunction<unsigned int> test_function;
   file >> test_function;

I get the error  "what():  *** Error: Mesh has not been specified,
unable to initialize mesh function."

The new XML code look sophisticated and takes some effort to understand
- can we clear out the old code yet so there is less to trawl through?
That's a good idea. I will start on this on Monday. For the moment,
you need to do the following:

Mesh mesh;
file >> mesh;
MeshFunction<uint> mf(mesh);
file >> mf;

Is the final intention that the XML file for a MeshFunction will contain the
mesh and a list of variables, or just a list of variables? If it's the
latter, then FunctionPlotData could be generalised to handle MeshFunctions
to faciliate plottting via viper.
That's a good idea. I don't like that we save both the mesh and the
meshfunction when writing a meshfunction to file. If we use
functionplotdata instead, the meshfunction and mesh is more naturally
stored together.

Ola

That sounds good to me.

But will it then be possible to directly plot a MeshFunction stored on
file with viper from the command line?

No.

Can someone remind me why we don't just write a .vtu file and let Viper plot that? Since Viper uses VTK, I would expect that to be easy.