Re: Parameter system

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 08:42:33AM +0200, Johan Hake wrote:
> On Thursday 07 May 2009 23:20:20 Anders Logg wrote:

> > > At a glance, the above looks like Boost Pogram_options,
>
> Does po support nested options?

>   Parameters app_params;
>   app_params.add_param("solver",solver.parameters());
>   app_params.add_param("geometry",geometry.parameters());
>   app_params["solver"]["abs_tol"] = 1e-9;
>
> (Btw I think this is close to how Trilinos does it. )
>
> If po do not support this we need to declare all application parameters at one
> place and then pass this object around to the different dolfin objects.

I think this will be fairly easy to add in the wrapper code. Doesn't
look like po supports it. But it does support merging of options from
different sources.

Should we call the new class Options or Parameters?

> > > http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/doc/html/program_options/tutorial.ht
> > >ml
> > >
> > > A nice feature of Boost Program_options is that it supports options from
> > > a file and from the command line.
> > >
> > > Garth
> >
> > There are several options:
> >
> > 1. Using po just for parsing command-line options and perhaps reading
> > from file (we can already read from XML).
> >
> > 2. Using po also for storing the values.
> >
> > 3. Not using po at all and store everything in simple std::<map,
> > value>.
>
> I go for 1. However my knowledge of po is limited. I see that boost defines
> its own map structure:
>
> <http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/doc/html/boost/program_options/variables_map.html>
>
> which might be useful, but I suppose that's just for storing. I am not sure po
> defines an interface for range and option checking either.

It doesn't look like po sypports range checks. That will make it
difficult to use po for storage, or rather making it easier to
implement our own storage scheme since we may then make range checks
part of the storage.