Re: scons / dorsal

[snip]

> I don't have a problem with pkg-config being _the_ system,
> but the command line interface does not give that impression.
> It cannot be required that the user knows scons internals or takes
> even a casual glance at the implementation of the build system...

True.

> In particular, there is no mention of pkg-config in scons --help,
> README, or INSTALL, and the help messages do not suggest
> that they may be ignored if the wind comes from the north:
> withPetscDir: Specify path to PETSc ( /path/to/withPetscDir )

Also true.

> If scons makes it hard to design the interface freely, why not
> have a separate script to generate selected pkg-config files?
> I don't care more for "scons configFoo" than
> "configure withFooDir=/here/I/am withBarDir=/here/I/am".
>
> Whatever solution is chosen, it must be possible to say
> explicitly that "hey, I want to use foolib from /bar/foolibdir,
> please make me a pkg-config file for that build and ignore
> any global defaults that you find".

Ok, I can discuss it with Johannes and see if there are any good solution for
this.

Suggestion 1:
Trigger construction of a specific pkg-config file during compilation.

  scons configFoo configBar

These options will come in addition to other options. Maybe more explicit
towards mentioning pkg-config

  scons generatePkgConfigFoo generatePkgConfigBar?

Suggestion 2:
Put the generation of pkg-config files into a standalone script.

  generate-pkg-config Foo Bar

Instead of generate-pkg-config-file we could for example have:

  dolfin-config, config?

I think 1 integrates better with the present system.

Any comments from the others?