more fun with boost (macosx 10.4.11)

Hi All,
just trying to catch up on all the new development and had some comments on sorting out the boost libraries for the latest dolfin-dev on my mac-osx 10.4.11 machine.

I think I've sorted most of this out but the pkggeneratory boost.py still seems to be fragile. some basic problems on macosx are A) the most available version of boost on fink is 1.33 which I believe is out of date (what version is the development libraries using?) B) I've rebuilt boost (1.38 and 1.39) by hand just fine, but in general, there are a lot of possible variations on the naming of boost libraries (e.g. the default naming conventions for the libraries can include version and compiler information such as libboost_program_options-xgcc40-mt.dylib). It would be useful if the boost package generators were a bit more thorough in determining how to call things (maybe a bit of glob would help). Alternatively, since the new development libraries seem to be more dependent on compiled boost libraries, a brief discussion of dependencies for boost on the web-site would be useful. I also think Dorsal will need to be updated for the development versions. C) at least in boost 1.38 and 1.39, libboost_filesystem* references libboost_system* and I think a -lboost_system* needs to be added to boost_filesystem.pc

at any rate, I seem to now have a a full set of boost libraries and pkgconfig files so that I can do a complete local build of dolfin.

Thanks as always
cheers
marc

Marc Spiegelman