Re: more fun with boost (macosx 10.4.11)

Hi Marc,

On Thu, June 18, 2009 01:30, mspieg wrote:
> Hi All,
>     just trying to catch up on all the new development and had some
> comments on sorting out the boost libraries for the latest dolfin-dev
> on my mac-osx 10.4.11 machine.
>
> I think I've sorted most of this out but the pkggeneratory boost.py
> still seems to be fragile.  some basic problems on macosx are
> 	A) the most available version of boost on fink is 1.33 which I
> believe is out of date (what version is the development libraries
> using?)

We use Boost 1.35 from fink on the Mac OS X buildbot slave. These are the
fink packages we have installed on that machine:

  boost1.35.nopython
  boost1.35.nopython-shlibs
  boost1.35.python25
  boost1.35.python25-shlibs

> 	B) I've rebuilt boost (1.38 and 1.39) by hand just fine, but in
> general, there are a lot of possible variations on the naming of
> boost libraries (e.g. the default naming conventions for the
> libraries can include version and  compiler information such as
> libboost_program_options-xgcc40-mt.dylib).  It would be useful if
> the boost package generators were a bit more thorough in determining
> how to call things (maybe a bit of glob would help).

Yes, the Boost pkg-config generator could be more robust. I can take a
look at it later.

> Alternatively,
> since the new development libraries seem to be more dependent on
> compiled boost libraries,  a brief discussion of dependencies for
> boost on the web-site would be useful.  I also think Dorsal will need
> to be updated for the development versions.
> 	C) at least in boost 1.38 and 1.39,  libboost_filesystem* references
> libboost_system* and I think a -lboost_system* needs to be added to
> boost_filesystem.pc

I thought this was fixed by one of my commits yesterday, but it seems my
logic was broken. It should be fixed now.

> at any rate,  I seem to now have a a full set of boost libraries and
> pkgconfig files so that I can do a complete local build of dolfin.

Good, and thanks for you comments.

Johannes