displacement condition on individual nodes

Hi,

I'm working with a group that's using Fenics to study the equations of linear elasticity (with a pure displacement formulation), and I have a question about boundary conditions. Our goal is to study the pure traction problem, and this means we have to be careful in formulating the boundary conditions. In order to prevent a singularity in our equations, we need to constrain certain nodes so as to prevent translations and rigid rotations. There are many examples in the fenics demos about how to prescribe mixed conditions, but I have only seen examples where the Dirichlet condition occurs along an edge (as opposed to occurring at a few individual nodes). So my question is, given a mesh, how does one prescribe Dirichlet conditions for individual nodes? Are there any demos that address this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!

Katy

---
Catherine (Katy) A. Micek
Graduate Assistant, U of MN Mathematics Department
http://www.math.umn.edu/~mice0012

Follow ups