Re: DofMap

Anders Logg wrote:
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 04:36:33PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

Anders Logg wrote:
What is the reason for using int instead of uint in the precomputed
DofMap?

I didn't make it int, but I suspect that it is to leave open the
possibility of using negative indexes which some libraries (e.g. PETSc)
treat differently during insertion.

Negative indices will affect all backends. Does Trilinos support it?

Not sure. We can't guarantee that all backends will support it so I'm inclined to use uint.

Also, would it be good to have the same DofMapBuilder::build()
implementation both in parallel and serial. I imagine the algorithm
will specialize to the case of one process. This will be useful to
have once we add the localized iteration over cells on each mesh to
minimize bandwidth.
DofMapBuilder::build() does not build the DofMap (name needs to be
changed).

Yes, maybe DofMapRenumbering is better.

It renumbers the dofs and is not required when running in serial.

I think it is. The FFC generated dof map does not do a very good job
at minimizing bandwidth for vector-valued elements (or even scalar
P2). I was hoping the same algorithm would work in both serial and
parallel (less code to maintain).

This should work after splitting the current function into two (ownership + renumbering). It looks to me like the present parallel renumbering is more or less the UFC numbering on each process.

There is some work to do (I'm about to commit something) to sort out DofMap, so I'm not going to worry about the details of DofMapBuilder until DofMap is sorted out and working.

I have added a FIXME (might not have pushed it yet) that
DofMap::parallel_build needs to be broken into two functions. The first
function should determine ownership of dofs when running in parallel,
and the second does the re-numbering.