Re: Redesign of solver interfaces

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 12:05:13AM +0200, Marie Rognes wrote:
> Anders Logg wrote:
> > I added this blueprint after a discussion this morning with HPL, Ola
> > and Hake:
> >
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dolfin/+spec/solver-interfaces
> >
> > Take a look and see what you think.
> >

> So, is VariationalSolver supposed to do the same as VariationalProblem
> does today?

Yes, so you need to change the name of your class to AdaptiveSolver. :-)

> As a side-note, I would very much appreciate a PDE/VariationalProblem class
> that more or less works as a placeholder for the variational formulation
> (a, L)
> plus the boundary conditions.

It wouldn't be hard to add VariationalProblem and LinearSystem classes
which just hold the variables. We could even add solve() functions
which call the respective solvers. The only problem is that there will
then be 3 different ways to solve a problem:

  x = solve(A, b)
  x = solver.solve(A, b)
  x = LinearSystem(A, b).solve()

:-)