Re: Optional GTS, IntersectionDetector and evaluating functions

Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:27:53AM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

Andre Massing wrote:
Hi,

I am just wondering why GTS has been only optional in the past, although
the eval function

void Function::eval(double* values, const double* x) const
http://www.fenics.org/hg/dolfin/file/32bcc3b91dd7/dolfin/function/Function.cpp#l243

in the Function class depends on the IntersectionDetector, which in turn
depends on GTS.

GTS was added before eval(double* values, const double* x) for finite
element functions was added and we haven't bothered reconsidering
whether or not GTS should be an optional dependency sicne. Most demos
should run without GTS.

Furthermore a 1D function can not evaluated at arbitrary points for
functions  on 1D grids since the the IntervalCell class

http://www.fenics.org/hg/dolfin/file/32bcc3b91dd7/dolfin/mesh/IntervalCell.cpp#l183

does not provide a implementation.

So I wondering how these things work instead? At least I could not find
it in the docs and my benchmarks throw an exception when I tried to run
the old IntersectionDetector for 1D meshes and points intersection.

Probably never been tested before.

Garth

(Of course the forthcoming CGAL interface will remedy these issues
;))

Even so, it would probably be best to make CGAL optional since it may
be a heavy dependency. We can throw a sensible error message when CGAL
is not installed. It would be good to make it possible to install
DOLFIN on a Debian-based system with the only extra dependencies being
other FEniCS packages.

At least on Ubuntu wouldn't that be an option until the release around April 2010 since the functionality relies on CGAL 3.5, which won't probably make into the karmic koala release.

When CGAL 3.5 is in Debian, we can make it a dependency.

Debian unstable already contains CGAL 3.5.

I was just wondering and thought, that the eval functionality more fundamental then it seems to be.

Greetings,
Andre

Greetings,
Andre