Re: Release

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 12:08:54 Garth N. Wells wrote:
> Anders Logg wrote:

> >> Perhaps, as long as we don't end up re-implementing all the std::vector
> >> functionality in Array.
> >>
> >> Garth
> >
> > I assume we will make it fixed-size which will simplify the
> > implementation a great deal and differentiate it from std::vector
> > which has push_back.
>
> Fixed on the C++ side. It should have a function to indicate a change in
> size. That way, we can have this process
>
> 1. An Array is received and turned into a NumPy
> 2. Length of NumPy array changes on the Python side
> 3. Array is 'informed' of the new length when sent back to C++
>
> This change in length on the Python side is something we can't handle at
> the moment as far as I understand.

A NumPy array is already fixed. Any changes wrt length will return a new NumPy
array. You can hand slices, which are views of other arrays, but this is
different case which we cannot support.

If we have a re-sizable Array we can add some flags, so it cannot be resized
if it is a view of a passed NumPy array.

But shouldn't this discussion be on the Blueprint page?

Johan