Re: [Question #101686]: [Question #101686]: cell.intersects() functionality in 0.9.7? (i.e. GTS dependencies)

Question #101686 on DOLFIN changed:

Andre Massing proposed the following answer:

Anders Logg wrote:
> Question #101686 on DOLFIN changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/101686
>
> Anders Logg proposed the following answer:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 01:06:17AM -0000, Andre Massing wrote:
>> Question #101686 on DOLFIN changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/101686
>>
>> Andre Massing proposed the following answer:
>>
>> Garth N. Wells wrote:

>>> Andre: Did you forget to attach it?
>> Hmm, I did not, at least in my sent box it also appeared with
>> attachment. Strange... resend it (CC to the DOLFIN-ml).
>
> We also need to add back the simple interface
>
>   bool MeshEntity::intersects(const Foo& foo) const;
>
> where foo can be either a Point or another MeshEntity.

Of course we can do this. But before I removed it, we discussed it a bit
and concluded that intersects should not be a member function of an
entity (IIRC :), because it is a symmetric operation between geometric
objects and calculation of intersection detection is dependent on both
involved types.

> do_intersect looks a bit strange to me. (But it might be good for the
> low-level interface that interacts with the CGAL templates.)

Why exactly? It takes two entities or an entity and a point and just
returns a boolean value, stating, whether to entities "do intersect" :)
But what might be a better, more meaningful name? Just "intersects"?  Or
what did you think of?