[Question #112556]: Linear solver in C++

New question #112556 on DOLFIN:

I am attempting to use LinearSolver in C++ to do some simple matrix and vector solution, as in 3x3 or 5x5. I get this error.

[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message ------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Object is in wrong state!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Not for unassembled matrix!
[0]PETSC ERROR: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.0.0, Patch 8, Fri Aug 21 14:02:12 CDT 2009

This seems to suggest that I cannot use LinearSolver in the code directly, that instead I have to make a form file. Is this in fact the case? and if so how would I make that form file?

This is my code in case it is relevant. I am doing some simple interpolation to calculate a step size for an iterative non-linear problem. This is the test program I wrote.

int main()
{
	//declare and initialise
	int degree = 4;
	double *x = new double[degree + 1];
	double *y = new double[degree + 1];

	std::vector<dolfin::uint> columns;
	std::vector<double> values;

	dolfin::LinearSolver linSolver;
	dolfin::Matrix X(degree + 1, degree + 1);
	dolfin::Vector Y(degree + 1);
	dolfin::Vector A(degree + 1);

	//generate test points
	x[0] = 0;
	y[0] = 0;

	x[1] = 1;
	y[1] = -2;

	x[2] = 2;
	y[2] = -1;

	x[3] = 3;
	y[3] = -2;

	x[4] = 4;
	y[4] = 0;

	//set vector
	Y.set_local(y);

	//set matrix
	for (int j = 0; j <= degree; j ++)
		columns.push_back(dolfin::uint(j));

	for (dolfin::uint row = 0; row < dolfin::uint(degree); row++){

		for (int j = 0; j <= degree; j++)
			values.push_back( power(x[row], (degree - j) ) );

		X.setrow(row, columns, values);

		values.clear();
	}

	//solve [X]{A} = {Y} where A is the coefficients of the polynomial
	linSolver.solve(X, A, Y);

	//output
	for (int j = 0; j <= degree; j++)
		std::cout << A[j] << std::endl;