Re: JIT compiling in Dolfin

On Thursday May 27 2010 23:28:19 Kent Andre wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 18:52 -0700, Johan Hake wrote:
> > You can controll this by setting the environment variable:
> >   INSTANT_CACHE_DIR
> >
> > to different directories for the different DOLFIN builds.
> >
> > If you use different conf files for the different DOLFIN builds you can
> > easily controll the instant cache dir from within these.
> >
> > We once included the dolfin version in the cache id, but it was removed
> > as it the ufc python module is not dependent on anything in dolfin. Not
> > sure how true this is in reality though.
> >
> > What kind of troubles have you encountered?
> >
> > Johan
>
> The shared library in the cache is linked against another Dolfin and
> therefore it wouldn't load.

Ok I see. We are including the __version__ in the signature of the instant
module, but if you are using the latest stable version together with a
development version, you get the same version number, which wont trigger a new
module.

One way to fix this is to increase the version on all development versions.
This would make sense as we are no longer developing the 0.9.7, which is
released. We are developing 0.9.8, which is then reflected by the __version__
string. Other softwares use this convention too.

If we want to be water proof we could look up libdolfin.so and take a md5 sum
of the file and use that in the signature. We then need to use different
suffixes and prefixes for the different platforms.

Johan