Re: [Question #117960]: Matrix multiplication by vector slow with uBLAS

Question #117960 on DOLFIN changed:

Garth Wells proposed the following answer:

On 18/07/10 19:56, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 04:51:28PM -0000, Garth Wells wrote:
>> Question #117960 on DOLFIN changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/117960
>>
>> Garth Wells proposed the following answer:
>> I have noticed some *major* slow downs in uBLAS lately. I'd say that
>> there isn't much that we can do about. uBLAS as a project appears
>> rudderless and not bothered about performance.
>>
>> We should seriously consider removing support for uBLAS. We now have
>> Armadillo available for dense linear algebra, and PETSc can be installed
>> as package or via Dorsal. The motivations for adding uBLAS now longer
>> hold.
>
> I don't mind removing uBLAS, but perhaps we should wait a little while
> longer. I remember that we considered removing MTL4 a while back but
> then it started improving.

True. A difference is that MTL4 is actively mainatined and worries about
performance. Peter Gottschling responded to our concerns, which is why
we still support MTL4.

Garth