Re: [Question #117960]: Matrix multiplication by vector slow with uBLAS

On 18/07/10 19:56, Anders Logg wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 04:51:28PM -0000, Garth Wells wrote:
Question #117960 on DOLFIN changed:

Garth Wells proposed the following answer:
I have noticed some *major* slow downs in uBLAS lately. I'd say that
there isn't much that we can do about. uBLAS as a project appears
rudderless and not bothered about performance.

We should seriously consider removing support for uBLAS. We now have
Armadillo available for dense linear algebra, and PETSc can be installed
as package or via Dorsal. The motivations for adding uBLAS now longer
hold.

I don't mind removing uBLAS, but perhaps we should wait a little while
longer. I remember that we considered removing MTL4 a while back but
then it started improving.

True. A difference is that MTL4 is actively mainatined and worries about performance. Peter Gottschling responded to our concerns, which is why we still support MTL4.