Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 4896: Add simple Stokes solver for parallel testing.

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 16:41 +0200, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 03:30:03PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> > > It's true that it wouldn't involve any partitioning (as in calling
> > > ParMETIS) but it would involve redistributing the mesh between all
> > > processes and computing all the auxilliary data that is needed, like
> > > the global vertex numbering and mappings to neighboring processes.
> >
> > No, because the process would only read the bits which it needs. The
> > partition data would contains the other data.
>
> So it would not just be a simple list of markers for which cells
> belong where? It would be all that other stuff that we stored in
> MeshData today?
>
> > > By storing one file per process (which is almost already supported),
> > > that would also be avoided. Each process would read a regular mesh
> > > file and be ready to go. No communication and no computation involved.

> > > Multiple files would not be much of a complication since it is almost
> > > already in place. Each process just reads its corresponding file
> > > without any communication.
> > >

> > Having dug around in the XML files over the past few days, I wouldn't
> > agree with this. It may seem outwardly simple, but it means files having
> > different states and it gets messy.
>
> What do you mean by different states? Each process just reads a plain
> mesh XML file which is no different from a regular mesh file except
> that the mesh data would contain a few more things.

In one case. But we also support reading/writing from/to one file or
multiple files. We need to decide who should open a file (is object
local or distributed), should DOLFIN or the user add a process suffix,
how should the object be created (which depends on how it's read in).
It's simpler (for the user and the developer) if there is just one way
to do something.

Garth