Re: liparmetis strangeness

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 02:49:20PM +0200, Johannes Ring wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm currently not able to build FEniCS with Dorsal on my Ubuntu lucid.
> > For some strange reason, libparmetis.a gets messed up.
> >
> > It looks perfectly fine after the installation of ParMetis (a symlink
> > to $prefix/src/ParMetis-3.1.1/libparmetis.a) but then later during the
> > installation (I don't know when), it gets replaced by a symlink to
> > itself.
> >
> > Which other packages might be messing with the ParMETIS symlink?
>
> Maybe SCOTCH?

SCOTCH install only makes one symlink and it's a very specific
symlink. The PETSc install script do a bunch of symlinks like

  ln -sf ${INSTALL_PATH}/lib/${PETSC_ARCH}/lib/* ${INSTALL_PATH}/lib/

which result in strange behavior when for example PETSC_ARCH is empty
(and in particular when there was an additional typo that removed the
second lib)... :-)