[Question #129481]: Writing matrices in Python

New question #129481 on DOLFIN:

I need to write out some assembled matrices in Matrix Market format, hopefully from the Python interface.  Easily for small matrices I can do:

from dolfin import *
from scipy.io import mmio
from scipy.sparse import csr_matrix
       A = Matrix()
        b = Vector()

        assemble_system(a, L, bcs=bc0, A_tensor=A, b_tensor=b)

        mmio.mmwrite("A.mtx", csr_matrix(A.array()))
        mmio.mmwrite("b.mtx", csr_matrix(b.array()))

But once A gets large calling "A.array()" takes forever.  Is there a way in python that I can just query the sparsity structure of A?

Any other ideas on how to do this quickly?