Re: [Question #143028]: binaries for mac don't work

Question #143028 on DOLFIN changed:

Anders Logg proposed the following answer:
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 07:59:22AM -0000, Stig Larsson wrote:
> New question #143028 on DOLFIN:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/143028
>
> I installed the fenics binaries for mac on a macbook with OS X 10.6.  When I tried the poisson demo I got the following error.
> I also checked which python I am using.
>
> stig-larssons-macbook:poisson stig$ python demo6.py
> Checking mesh ordering (finished).
> python(3176,0xa0829500) malloc: *** error for object 0xa07efdb0: pointer being freed was not allocated
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "demo6.py", line 33, in <module>
>     u0 = Constant(0.0)
> TypeError: Constant() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)
>
> stig-larssons-macbook:poisson stig$ which python
> /sw/bin/python
>
> stig-larssons-macbook:poisson stig$ python
> Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 16 2009, 20:35:34)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)] on darwin

I'm no expert on the Mac binaries, but I believe you need to use
FEniCS from the special FEniCS icon that gets installed in your
applications folder. Then you will get another version of Python.

The error messages above seem to indicate that you are running a
Python from Fink (?) and that you have an old conflicting version of
DOLFIN installed (where Constant expects two arguments instead of
one).