Re: assemble of Matrix with Real spaces slow

On 04/03/11 16:38, Johan Hake wrote:
> On Friday March 4 2011 03:29:32 Garth N. Wells wrote:

>>> OMG!! Yes, *flush*
>>>
>>> That explains the memory usage :P

>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> With the update correction from Marie the numbers now looks like:
>>>
>>> With PETSc backend
>>>
>>> Tensor without Mixed space  |       0.11211     0.11211     1
>>> With 1 global dofs          |        1.9482      1.9482     1
>>> With 2 global dofs          |        2.8725      2.8725     1
>>> With 4 global dofs          |        5.1959      5.1959     1
>>> With 8 global dofs          |        10.524      10.524     1
>>> With 16 global dofs         |        25.574      25.574     1
>>>
>>> With Epetra backend
>>>
>>> Tensor without Mixed space  |       0.87544     0.87544     1
>>> With 1 global dofs          |        1.7089      1.7089     1
>>> With 2 global dofs          |        2.6868      2.6868     1
>>> With 4 global dofs          |          4.28        4.28     1
>>> With 8 global dofs          |         8.123       8.123     1
>>> With 16 global dofs         |        17.394      17.394     1
>>>
>>> Still a pretty big increase in time for just adding 16 scalar dofs to a
>>> system of 274625 dofs in teh first place.
>>
>> I have seen this big slow down for large problems. The first issue,
>> which was the computation of the sparsity pattern, has been 'resolved'
>> by using boost::unordered_set. This comes at the expense of the a small
>> slow down for regular problems.
>>
>> I also noticed that Epetra performs much better for these problems than
>> PETSc does. We need to check the matrix initialisation, but it could
>> ultimately be a limitation of the backends. Each matrix row
>> corresponding to a global dof is full, and it may be that backends
>> designed for large sparse matrices do not handle this well.
>
> How could inserting into the matrix be the bottle neck. In the test script I
> attached I do not assemble any global dofs.

I think that you've find that it is. It will be assembling zeroes in the
global dof positions.

>> The best approach is probably to add the entire row at once for global
>> dofs. This would require a modified assembler.
>>
>> There is a UFC Blueprint to identify global dofs:
>>
>>     https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufc/+spec/global-dofs
>>
>> If we can identify global dofs, we have a better chance of dealing with
>> the problem properly. This includes running in parallel with global dofs.
>
> Do you envision to have integrals over global dofs to get separated into its
> own tabulate tensor function? Then in DOLFIN we can assemble the whole
> row/column in one loop and insert it into the Matrix in one go.

No - I had in mind possibly adding only cell-based dofs to the matrix,
and adding the global rows into a global vector, then is that inserted
at the end (as one row) into a matrix. I'm not advocating at this stage
a change to the tabulate_foo interface.

> Do you think we also need to recognise global dofs in UFL to properly flesh
> out these integrals?

Yes. For one to handle them properly in parallel since global dofs to
not reside at mesh entity, and the domains are parallelised mesh-wise.

Garth