Re: assemble of Matrix with Real spaces slow

On Friday March 4 2011 08:48:14 Garth N. Wells wrote:
> On 04/03/11 16:38, Johan Hake wrote:

> >> I have seen this big slow down for large problems. The first issue,
> >> which was the computation of the sparsity pattern, has been 'resolved'
> >> by using boost::unordered_set. This comes at the expense of the a small
> >> slow down for regular problems.
> >>
> >> I also noticed that Epetra performs much better for these problems than
> >> PETSc does. We need to check the matrix initialisation, but it could
> >> ultimately be a limitation of the backends. Each matrix row
> >> corresponding to a global dof is full, and it may be that backends
> >> designed for large sparse matrices do not handle this well.
> >
> > How could inserting into the matrix be the bottle neck. In the test
> > script I attached I do not assemble any global dofs.
>
> I think that you've find that it is. It will be assembling zeroes in the
> global dof positions.

I guess you are right. Is the sparsity pattern and also the tabulated tensor
based only on the MixedSpace formulation, and not on the actual integral?

Is this a bug or feature?

> >> The best approach is probably to add the entire row at once for global
> >> dofs. This would require a modified assembler.
> >>
> >> There is a UFC Blueprint to identify global dofs:
> >>     https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufc/+spec/global-dofs
> >>
> >> If we can identify global dofs, we have a better chance of dealing with
> >> the problem properly. This includes running in parallel with global
> >> dofs.
> >
> > Do you envision to have integrals over global dofs to get separated into
> > its own tabulate tensor function? Then in DOLFIN we can assemble the
> > whole row/column in one loop and insert it into the Matrix in one go.
>
> No - I had in mind possibly adding only cell-based dofs to the matrix,
> and adding the global rows into a global vector, then is that inserted
> at the end (as one row) into a matrix. I'm not advocating at this stage
> a change to the tabulate_foo interface.

Ok, but you need its own tabulate_tensor function for the global dofs?

> > Do you think we also need to recognise global dofs in UFL to properly
> > flesh out these integrals?
>
> Yes. For one to handle them properly in parallel since global dofs to
> not reside at mesh entity, and the domains are parallelised mesh-wise.

Ok

Johan