Re: Constructing your own mesh vertices/cells

On Monday March 14 2011 12:57:32 Anders Logg wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:31:21AM -0700, Johan Hake wrote:

> > > It works because it happens to work. It's not intended usage and it
> > > might break if we change the implementation MeshEditor, even if the
> > > interface stays the same.
> > >
> > > It would be better to add some utility function for creating a Mesh
> > > based on arrays.
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > But as long as we store the coordinates and cells as contiguous arrays in
> > the mesh, they will be exposed to Python through NumPy and this will
> > just work.
>
> Not necessarily. The MeshEditor might postpone initializing the arrays
> until it has received all calls to add_cell etc and only then allocate
> the arrays. So the mixing of MeshEditor.open, close and array access
> only works if it is compatible with what MeshEditor does internally.

So you are saying that if not MeshEditor get calls for add_{vertex, cell} for
all of the registered entities it wont allocate memory for these guys? I
suppose it wont be possible to call close then as it wont make any sense if
the data is not allocated?

Johan