Re: Changes in dolfin::FiniteElement interface

Hi Kristian,

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Kristian Ølgaard
<k.b.oelgaard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5 May 2011 20:13, Johan Hake <johan.hake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Recently we have had a couple of requests to add dolfin::Cell versions of
>> ufc::cell versions of methods in dolfin::FiniteElement. There are quite many
>> of the methods, and I think it looks ugly to have duplicates of all of these.
>>
>> Would it be OK to remove all dolfin::Cell versions and require C++ users to
>> generate a UFCCell, if they only have a dolfin::Cell, before they call the
>> corresponding method? We could then just add a typemap on the Pythonside
>> making it possible to call these methods using a dolfin::Cell.
>
> So you want to remove the ability of using dolfin::Cell in C++ so you
> can add it in Python?
> I vote for making both available in C++ and Python, if that is not
> possible, let's keep things the way they are.

While I am one of the instigators asking for the Python versions, I
agree with you though :). It seems to me as if the Python and C++
interfaces should work the same as far as possible. This is
particularly important given that a lot of the documentation only
covers the C++ versions, so that should lead to the least surprise for
Python users.

Regards
Neilen