Re: [Ufl] [Branch ~ufl-core/ufl/main] 2 revisions removed

On 17/06/11 20:51, Anders Logg wrote:

>>> Because I like to have control of when things will be committed to
>>> lp:dolfin (by doing push explictly rather than that suddenly happening
>>> if I commit in the wrong directory).
>
> You have full control! It only happens if you do
>
>   cd trunk
>   bzr merge ../work
>
> It seems to me that's highly unlikely to happen by accident...

>>> Yes. But then later when one does
>>>
>>>      cd trunk
>>>      bzr merge ../rognes
>>>
>>> I'm imagining that the previous merge in (*) (cf "merges made
>>> elsewhere") will be pushed into trunk. But that might just be my
>>> imagination.
>
> Yes, it's your imagination. The merge made elsewhere will be *merged
> from trunk*, not *pushed into trunk*. I tried the exact scenario you
> described and it worked *perfectly* fine.

>>> I'm having a hard time understanding how my previous statement "to say
>>> that it "doesn't work" is not my intention" can be interpreted as
>>> that. Anyhow, what I'm saying is that I have been following the
>>>
>>>       cd trunk
>>>       bzr merge ../elsewhere
>>>
>>> recipe: in most cases it works beautifully, in some more complicated
>>> cases (which I cannot easily reproduce), it has not.
>
> Let me know next time and I might be able to help. :-)

>>> You prefer that way. I prefer a slightly different way. There should
>>> be room for both.
>
> So your argument is that you should be able to push merges that will
> lead to removed revisions

I don't see how this discussion can go anywhere if you insist that
revisions are being removed, which sounds drastic. Nothing is being
removed, and there are unique revision IDs.

> since for some reason you prefer not to
> write the commands
>
>   cd trunk
>   bzr merge ../work
>
> ?
>
> I think it's important that since lp:dolfin is a common repository for
> many developers, we agree on how to merge changes into lp:dolfin. My
> point of view is that
>
> 1. merging from trunk is cleaner as it avoids removed revisions
> 2. the overhead is virtually zero:
>
>    bzr merge lp:dolfin && bzr commit -m merge && bzr push lp:dolfin
>
> vs
>
>   cd trunk && bzr merge ../work && bzr commit -m merge
>
> The second option is even shorter!
>
>> I agree with the above. Can we all settle on just
>>
>>   "try hard not to do 'bzr merge lp:dolfin'"
>
> This is incorrect. One should be able to do
>
>   bzr merge lp:dolfin
>
> anytime. That's not the problem. The thing we should avoid is doing
>
>   bzr push lp:dolfin
>
> if that push contains a merge with trunk (fine if it doesn't contain
> such a merge). The merge itself is not the problem. The problem is the
> push of the merge.

How can there be a merge to push if there has been no merge?

Garth