Re: Branching off 1.0 or 1.1

On 25 October 2011 09:01, Martin Alnæs <martinal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin
>
> Den 25. okt. 2011 kl. 08:11 skrev Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Ok, slowly getting there!
>>
>> I still don't understand this model. Where should development happen?
>> I expect it to happen in trunk, but then it won't go into 1.1.
>>
>> It now looks like we have to worry about three series: the stable 1.0
>> branch, the 1.1 branch and trunk. I prefer a simpler model with just
>> two branches: stable and development and then "branching" off the
>> development branch when we feel stable.
>
> Series != branch.
>
> There is no 1.1 branch yet, only the 1.1 series for targeting stuff.
> There are currently two branches, trunk and 1.0.x.
> Development always happens against trunk.
>
> When entering testing phase before a release, trunk will be branched into 1.1.x just as it was now branched into 1.0.x. Bug fixes for 1.0.x will be pushed into the 1.0.x branch as well as trunk.
>
> I like the model. I do not see how this works out with the other projects yet.
>
> I was really not happy with the timing, these things should really not be done in a hurry without even the core developers knowing what is going on. I hope this means the beta3 is to be released ASAP, dual branches increases the workload on everyone.

We can philosophise, but we don't know  exactly what Launchpad does
until we do it. The branches are all still present, so it doesn't have
to change how we work towards a release. And it can be reverted.

The change and timing is important to me (and overdue) because I'm not
a professional software developer. It's a research activity for me,
and not having a proper development branch now for several months has
impacted on progress. I want to push on, and this can now be done now
without compromising an upcoming release. Having separate personal dev
branches works for a while, but it becomes disjointed without a common
dev branch.

> The buildbot still points to main which no longer exists. It should point to 1.0.x while we are stabilizing that.

It should ideally test two branches.

Garth