Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/trunk] Rev 7051: Move installation of dolfin.conf from $prefix/share/dolfin to $prefix/etc

On Wednesday, 31 October 2012, Anders Logg wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 05:47:50AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> >    On Tuesday, 30 October 2012, Anders Logg wrote:
> >
> >      You may be right. It's a config file for how to build against
> >      DOLFIN,
> >      not for configuring DOLFIN.
> >
> >    Not even. It's a helper file for those who happen to use bash.Â
> >
> >    I think prefix/etc is completely wrong and I would be surprised if
> >    having a helper script for bash users in
> >
> >    Â  Â /usr/etc
> >
> >    is acceptable in a Debian package.
>
> Maybe not. We can change it.

> >      Another motivation to put it there is I want Dorsal to generateÂ
> >
> >      Â a
> >      corresponding fenics.conf file and I want to put both files in the
> >      same location. Where is otherwise a suitable location for
> >      fenics.conf

> >    I don't use Dorsal, so I can't comment on what would be convenient.Â
>
> Do you have your own build scripts? You must face the same problems.

No. I just install most packages in

   $HOME/local

or

   $HOME/local/packages/foo

and set the paths in .bashrc.

I then just source whichever dolfin.conf I want to build against.

Garth

--
Garth N. Wells
Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge