Re: packs and packed-refs

Hi Alex,

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 10:10 +0200, Alex Morega wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2009, at 23:05 , Alex Morega wrote:
> > I'm using Dulwich to store large amounts of data in a Git repository, and have a couple of problems.
> >
> > First, if the repository is packed by git-gc, Dulwich doesn't seem to know about the packed-refs file. I suppose this is easily fixable, and I can try to provide a patch.
Please try repo.get_packed_refs().

> > The second is more serious: huge packfiles, upwards of 2GB, can't be read on a 32-bit machine, because of memory mapping. Is this liable to change anytime soon? Is there any workaround, perhaps a way to split a given packfile into multiple smaller ones?
I'm not aware of a way to do this at the moment. We probably have to
avoid mmap altogether to fix this properly.

Alternatively, we could provide a C extension that supported partial
mmap's better, but this would likely only work on *nix, not Windows.

I'm not aware of any ways to split large pack files, but I'm sure
there's some obscure way to do so with C git. :-)

> > Anyway, so far I've had a great time with Dulwich, thanks for that :)
Glad it's useful :-)

> Sorry for bumping my own question, but I get the feeling it fell through some cracks.
Sorry, it did indeed.

Cheers,

Jelmer