Re: bin/dulwich improvement

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 06:31, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 14:56 +0200, Matthew Daniel wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > The easiest thing to do is probably to send a merge request ("bzr
> send")
> we
> > > can respond to the merge request in-line here, and Launchpad will track
> > > the status of your merge request and mark it as merged automatically
> > > when it gets merged.
> > I received a response from Dave asking that I move the functionality
> > into a more library-style setup, rather than having the "dulwich"
> > script have so much logic.
> >
> > Would you rather have the `bzr send` now, or wait until the code is
> > transitioned per Dave's request?
> I didn't see Dave's request, but it might be worthwhile discussing the
> place of bin/dulwich.

I'm happy to have that discussion, but that's orthogonal to Matthew's change
:)

> The dulwich executable at the moment is just a trivial frontend for the
> Dulwich library, used for testing. It was never really meant as a tool
> to be used by end users. Personally I see Dulwich as just a python
> library for accessing git files/protocols, and I hardly ever use the
> dulwich binary (I always use Dulwich through Bazaar).

I think we're agreeing here. What I told Matthew was basically to continue
doing this.

> Other people have suggested writing other UIs for Git in Python (both
> command-line and graphical) on top of Dulwich and I'd like to help them
> by providing whatever they need. I'm wondering though if a clone of the
> standard Git command-line UI is useful and maintainable in the Dulwich
> codebase itself or whether it is perhaps out of scope for the project
> and better placed in a separate project.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not opposed to it being part of the project, but we need to have someone
to develop and maintain it, since it doesn't really seem like either of us
has the time.