Re: Push example and client http support

On Fri, Apr 22 2011, Dave Borowitz wrote:

> hg-git has examples of actually using the client module, and perhaps Augie
> can chime in with some of his experience.

Yeah, that does help, thanks a lot.
It seems that object_store.generate_pack_contents can be used to
generate packs. Maybe that could be set a a default in send/push method.

I'll deep further and see how I can write a determine_wants function.

> It is the hardest to support :)

I should have guessed it.

> The stateless HTTP protocol is different from but related to the stateful
> TCP wire protocol, so it's not just a matter of making an HTTP connection
> instead of TCP/SSH.

Yeah, I though it was that way. I at least hope supporting the smart
version of the HTTP protocol is not *that* hard. :-|

> I would poke around in the Documentation/technical directory of git.git
> until you understand the wire protocol; that's basically what I did to
> implement HTTP server support. If you have questions, I can help clarify, or
> you can ask the git mailing list about things where the documentation is
> unclear.

I already read and understood most of the protocol, but did not spend
time imagining how I would implement the HTTP client, since I though
until 1 hour ago that Dulwich supported it.
But I'll dig further as soon as I've some time to spend on it and will
come back to bother you if I need.

Thanks for the hints Dave. :)

--
Julien Danjou