Re: All Merged

2009/6/22 Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>  ~/.duplicity/<backup_name>/cache - cache files, removable at any time
>  ~/.duplicity/<backup_name>/config - backup profile configs, etc
>  ~/.duplicity/<backup_name>/checkpoints - checkpoint info

That really should be:
$XDG_CACHE_HOME/duplicity/<name> (aka ~/.cache/duplicity/<name>),
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/duplicity/<name> (aka ~/.config/duplicity/<name>), and
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/duplicity/<name>/checkpoints (maybe, not really clear
on what all checkpoint data is)

See http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/

Using those fields makes life so much easier.  I know we already
shipped a version that uses ~/.duplicity, but wherever possible, use
the XDG spec.  That way, applications can treat the directories
appropriately.  For example, Deja Dup excludes $XDG_CACHE_HOME by
default.

>> Hmmm, will have to think about that one.  I tend to think of backups
>> only when the filesystem is quiescent, but that's just me.
>
> I do to, but in practice I know for a fact most people simply don't do
> that. Backing up a live file system is standard practice,
> unfortunately. I've had to work pretty hard to convince people it's a
> bad idea, even among "techies".

I'm one of those people that encourages non-quiescent backups by
virtue of Deja Dup almost always running when non-quiescent.  The user
is logged in and almost certainly doing something.  It's an important
use case for me.

-mt