Auto Coalescing Incremental Backups

Folks,

This seems like a workable idea for coalescing incremental backups on
the fly, without user intervention.

A very simple case:
   Full Backup has files ABCD and blocks a1..a23, b1..b5, c1, d1
   Inc1 Backup has files AC and blocks a4,a7,c1
   Inc2 Backup has files AD and blocks a4,a8,d1  (a4 has been replaced)
   Inc3 Backup has files AB and blocks a7,b3     (a7 has been replaced)
   Inc4 Backup has files CD and blocks c1,d1     (c1 has been replaced)
At this point, all of Inc1 has been replaced, so if the user is willing
to do so, Inc1 could be deleted.  We would have to fix up the chain in
some manner so it would not be missed, but the idea seems workable.  I'm
not sure how often this would occur in actual use, but I wanted to get
the thought out there while I had it.

The simplest solution is to coalesce Inc1..4 into one incremental, and
that will probably the first solution we implement.

...Thanks,
...Ken