Fwd: Auto Coalescing Incremental Backups

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Plamen Kosseff <p.kosseff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2009/9/11
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-team] Auto Coalescing Incremental Backups
To: Kenneth Loafman <kenneth@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

If I'am willing to sacrifice the ability to revert to the state in inc1 and
it's bandwidth efficient (i.e. it is not over some configurable size) I will
prefer not to keep the incrementals at all and do an incremental against the
last full every time.
This will actually work better spacewise if you have very hot files which
changes are likely to be overwritten in later incrementals.

So it will look like this
  Full Backup has files ABCD and blocks a1..a23, b1..b5, c1, d1
  Inc1.0 Backup has files AC and blocks a4,a7,c1
  Inc1.1 Backup has files ACD and blocks a4,a7,a8,c1,d1  (inc1.0 is removed)
  Inc1.2 Backup has files ABCD and blocks a4,a7,a8,b3,c1,d1   (inc1.1 is
removed)

Folks,