Re: [Merge] lp:~mterry/duplicity/early-catch-498933 into lp:duplicity

ede, making resume optional is a good idea (maybe a --no-resume option).  But that's a separate bug/branch.

As for get_info() vs get_size(), I'm nervous about getting *all* infor we can.  That might be a lot, and some info is more or less expensive on different backends.

See, for example, all the info the GIO backend could request of a file: file:///usr/share/doc/libglib2.0-doc/gio/GFileInfo.html

I'm sure we could come up with a reasonable subset of metadata to query, but adding more later isn't so hard.

What about a get_info() method that returned a dictionary?  And for an initial pass, we would only have backends fill out a "size" entry.  That way, if we later discover some piece of metadata we want, we keep the same API and can just edit the backends.

Now, as for whether get_info() should return information on a list or a single file...  ftp and sftp can operate on multiple files easily, but there would be no savings to do so.  We'd ideally want to verify after uploading each file, so we're still making the same number of remote requests.  And we're not saving computationally, because getting info on the whole list is asking for more information than we will use.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~mterry/duplicity/early-catch-498933/+merge/72607
Your team duplicity-team is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~mterry/duplicity/early-catch-498933 into lp:duplicity.