Tests

Hello!  I'm at UDS this week and Canonical has been talking about new
acceptance criteria for package updates landing in main and testing
requirements for projects they write.  This is going to affect the
Ubuntu packaging work I do on duplicity (as well as the work I do on
deja-dup).

Basically the idea is that there has to be a body of automated
integration tests before I can accept a new release into Ubuntu.  And
likely also involve a staging PPA for wider testing.

I can also spend more time working on upstream duplicity tests and
Canonical has offered to run a Jenkins [1] instance, which can run a
test suite after every commit to duplicity trunk.

A) Ken, would you be interested in a Jenkins instance which would
notify this mailing list on trunk test failures?

B) Would it be OK if I send emails to duplicity-talk when I have
prepared a new update for a development release of Ubuntu asking for
testing?  This may just involve the same current PPA but in the
current development release pocket (i.e. right now, the 'precise'
pocket).  Such a request could be folded into an email announcing the
new release's availability in the PPA's stable release pockets too
(which I don't do now, but should).

C) I would be interested to start working on expanding the duplicity
test suite and making more of the current tests require no
configuration.  I'm assuming such changes would be welcome?

D) I'm going to get more serious about setting up that daily build PPA.

[1] http://jenkins-ci.org/

-mt

Follow ups